Sunday, October 03, 2010

HOW TO BE "in lawed"

How many of you are sister in laws?
How many of you happen to be a sister in law to your husband's one sibling?
A sister?

What's it supposed to be like?
Do you think it's more difficult to be a good sister in law, if you didn't have a sister growing up?

I have this warped sense of how things "should be," in Pleasantville.

Maybe I'm the one going about it the wrong way. I don't know.
What I do know is that I don't expect anyone to be like me, but I do expect to be respected and included.

Only because the same goes for the other side. Heaven forbid if you don't contact them on their birthday, send them what they want for their showers, remember to check in with them when they've been under the weather.

What's funny is, the same isn't expected to give back. Whereas I don't believe you give to get back, I do believe it's nice to see the other side trying, to the best of their capabilities.

Is it okay to not include the sister in law in things? Even though you know that if you ever attempted to exclude your sister in law's husband, there would be drama.

Thoughts?

4 comments:

happyone said...

I am an only child so I never had a sister. My husband has one sister, my sister in law. Though we have never lived near each other (my husband being in the military) we are friends. I know she is always there for me, she is family. From the day I became part of the family she has always made me feel welcomed and loved. :-)
We get along fine and don't sweat the little stuff. I know I am blessed.

Anonymous said...

It seems you need backlinks to bring that traffic up a notch (or a grip). I Flash Flip, provide an xRumer service that will make you very wealthy via google. Give me a hollar.

- Flash

[url=http://xrumer-xrumerservice.blogspot.com/2010/09/xrumer-service.html]xRumer Service[/url]

Jamie said...

Your thinking isn't unreasonable, you already know that. Families just love to make drama. I wish I knew why...life would be so much easier.

I hope this week is wonderful for you. Big Hugs, girlie. :)

KathyA said...

Dealing with sisters-in-law can be difficult. One thing is that they're not really sisters at all. But they can be friends when that choice is made. You have two choices: take the high road and do what you would normally do, or simply write her off, drama be damned.